Dropped object prevention: mitigating the risk
There are many things that can be done to minimize or prevent the risk of dropped object incidents. Every workspace is different, with their individual hazards. Establishing your own drop prevention plan that is tailored to suit the particular space and its hazards, will help identify the risks. This will help implement the correct prevention measures needed to avoid injuries or fatalities.
What steps can be taken to prevent dropped object incidents?
- Train employees and visitors on potential hazards and how to avoid them
- Carry out regular risk assessments to identify risks that need to be seen to
- Take note of particular conditions that might elevate the risk such as wind, corrosion, or vibration
- Consider the use of safety mats or ties to secure tools or catch falling objects
DROPPED OBJECT PREVENTION: FAQs
What are the two types of dropped objects?
- Static Dropped Objects: Any object that falls from a stationary position under its own weight.
- Dynamic Dropped Objects: Any object that falls as a result of a secondary force.
What is a Static Dropped Object?
A Static Dropped Object is a any object that falls from its previous position under its own weight (gravity) without any applied force. For example, failure caused by corrosion, vibration or inadequate securing.
What is a Dynamic Dropped Object?
A Dynamic Dropped Object is any object that falls from its previous position due to applied force, eg collisions involving travelling equipment or loads, snagging on machinery or stacked items, motion, helicopter downdraft or severe weather.
How does drop prevention differ from fall prevention?
Drop prevention refers to any provisions in place that aim avoid incidents occurring where items fall from height and cause equipment damage, workforce injury or fatality. Whereas, fall protection is used to prevent personnel falling from a height in hazardous environments.
DROP PREVENTION WITH REGALTAGS
Taking control of your organisation’s safety processes and preventing drop related accidents in the workplace can be done easily and efficiently through the use of our XDROP drop prevention products. At REGALTAGS®, we help brands working in the harshest environments by offering the most durable, custom safety tagging and dropped object prevention solutions.
If you’re looking for a solution that help control your procedures and maximise safety, get in touch with our team of experts today. We’re always happy to answer any questions you have and would love to hear from you.